Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Book Burning?

Our society would lose its sense of self.  Our history, poetry, and stories would be lost.  Even the way children are raised would be different.  When I was young my mom would read a book to me until I fell asleep. 

I would miss books very much.  I read a lot, and it's an opportunity for me to get lost in a different place for awhile.  It is a source of entertainment and relaxation for me.

We "burn" books everyday in favor of computers.  We choose to forsake reading in favor of getting online and talking to our friends or surfing the web.  Technology today is slowly destroying our "want" of books.  With so much entertainment available to us (cell phones, ipods, laptops, etc.) why would we decide to pick up a book that doesn't do anything "cool"?  Books are important because they are timeless.  They don't break, and if you keep good care of them they will never wear out. 

Books can be dangerous because they make people think and question themselves.  You can learn from books, and knowledge could be dangerous (to a government, for example).  People with enough knowledge don't like to be controlled. 

4 comments:

  1. "we 'burn' books everyday in favor of computers." - I totally agree with that. I feel that most people use their computers instead of books especially for research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are definitely on the same page with this. I agree that the more you know about the world the harder you are for others(like govt) to manipulate and control you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really a book type of person, but I agree with the fact that we are burning books in favor of computers. I think we use to many shortcuts rather than using the raw material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, books are always better than technology because they don't have systems that crash, they don't run out of batteries, and also there is no matienece on them. As long as you take care of books they will last forever.

    ReplyDelete