Friday, February 4, 2011

The "Dumbest" Generation?

I don't agree with Bauerlein's opinion.  In our generation, we are just intelligent in a different way.  We may not be able to identify a painting or piece of classical music, but maybe he wouldn't be able to create a blog like this.  I think that it all depends on your point of view. 
In our group we decided that there were more things that people "under 30" should be aware of... But just because we aren't knowledgeable about everything older generations are doesn't mean we are stupid.
In the video, Bauerlein came off as being a snotty, condescending old man.  I think he genuinely hates kids (teenagers/people under 30). 

5 comments:

  1. I cant say anything more about Bauerlein in the video, I cant stand the guy just because he's an extremist fighting for something that is not relevant in today's society. I want to be successful when I get out of college and becoming less informed through the media, and trying to learn pretty much pointless information is not the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, just because we are not able to identify paintings and classical music does not mean that we don't appreciate them. I enjoy going to history museums and art museums, but that doesn't mean I have to be able to identify each piece on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you when you say Bauerlein came off as being snotty. Who is he to criticizes our generation. I also agree that we are intelligent in our own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea you bring up about what we should "value" in education. Bauerlein may see more merit in writing a Times New Roman, double-spaced paper, but I would argue that you can express yourself through other, more modernized outlets (i.e. this blog!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the video he did come off as a bitter old man who knows it all and doesnt like anyone under 30.I like how you pointed out the fact that just because we are not overly smart in one area doesn't mean we are dumb.Thats just like we could come out with a book saying people of the age 30 and above are the dumbest generation simple for not being up to date on the new forms of techonolgy. It really does depend on how you view it.

    ReplyDelete