Saturday, January 29, 2011

Culture Jam & "Second Skin"

I was watching my favorite sitcom tonight, Two and a Half Men, and it brought to mind a section from Culture Jam.  The first page in the chapter "The Manchurian Consumer" discusses what cues help to make you laugh at something in a television show.   Specifically, the laughter that is from the "studio audience".  A quote that stuck with me from Culture Jam is: "Mostly, you laughed because some network executive in a corner office in burbank gets paid $500,000 a year to make sure you do." 


Second Skin was interesting.  I think in many ways, gaming is like drugs.  Drug addicts use because they want a vacation from reality, as do gamers.  Honestly, I think that the vast majority of the people that were discussed in "Second Skin" were ridiculous.  To me there is no excuse not to get up, be active and make "real life" friends.  However, there was a brief segment about disabled people.  I found this particularly interesting because, even though I believe gaming is a waste of time, it gives people with disabilities the chance to feel "normal" (if that is the right word to use).  It gives disabled people an extraordinary chance to not feel judged, stared at, or written off.  I feel that people who are lucky enough to have all of their physical abilities intact should not spend their days (and nights) in front of a computer screen.

7 comments:

  1. I am definitely on the same page as you. I agree that those who are disabled use it as a chance to experience the same activities and daily functions as those who are not disabled. However I feel those gamers who are not disabled take walking, talking, and etc for granted. If given the chance the disabled man in the documentary would give up World of Warcraft in a second for the chance to speak and walk, and socialize with real people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So should gaming be reserved only for people with physical disabilities? Is there anything productive or rewarding about engaging online? What about those who spend equal amounts of time on Facebook? Is it the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two and a half men is amazing, I wanted to use that first quote because I hate watching stand-up that is terrible and hearing fake laughing in the background.

    I wouldnt say that spending time on facebook is the same thing because you are being yourself and talking to "real" people that your for the most part already know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with mike, your friends on facebook are generally people you already communicate with in person.

    I don't think that facebook is the same as gaming because people make gaming a way of life. Facebook is just a way to stay in touch with old friends, and normally doesn't have a major effect on your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree with you more. Gaming is definately along the lines of a drug. Once you enter that world all your stresses go away and you suddenly drift away from the real world making everything alright, which is fine for a moment but it shouldn't be a dependent. Gaming is something you should take part in for simple fun and enjoyment . I also agreed with the statement you made about people with disablities I too feel as though in that case shifting into another world is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you compared gaming to drugs. I totally agree with that. I mean I wouldn't know what its like because I never gamed before, but sometime I would play madden with my brother and I would find myself playing for a long period of time. I could totally see how you lose track of time, but its a totally different story when your losing friends, family, and your house over it!

    ReplyDelete